As GMIC2012 is set to begin tomorrow morning bright and early, we have a short wrap-up of some of the events you should not miss this year. Hope to see you there!
1. Keynote and Panel: Pony Ma, Core Founder and CEO, Tencent – May 10, 9:30-10:40
See the founder and CEO of Tencent discuss the deep impact that mobile has had on Chinese society, culture and government and how it will continue to mold the future of China.
2. Keynote: Yu Chengdong, Chairman, Huawei Mobile – May 10, 11:00-11:15
The Chairman of Huawei Mobile will discuss how Huawei will take on Apple and Samsung in their global inquisition of the mobile handset industry.
3. Keynote: Phil Libin, CEO, Evernote – May 10, 11:15-11:35 (Also, Fireside Chat on G-Startup Stage: May 10, 14:30-14:50)
The CEO of this $1 Billion startup will layout the next step in his plans for building a 100 year old, 20,000 employee, IPO’d startup.
4. Panel: Chinese Companies Going Global – May 10, 14:55-15:40
Chinese tech companies are no longer content playing in their own backyard. Hear from companies like Sky-Mobi, UCWeb and HTC on how they are taking the fight internationally.
5. Keynote + Fireside Chat: Naveen Tewari, CEO, InMobi – May 10, 15:40-16:00
Learn how this CEO has done what few Asian tech executives have by taking his company from humble beginnings in Mumbai to becoming the largest independent mobile ad network on the planet and now gunning for Google.
6. Keynote: Mike McCue, CEO, Flipboard – May 11, 9:20-9:35 (Also, VIP Welcome Dinner, May 9 18:00-22:00)
The publishing industry will never be the same after Flipboard. See what Flipboard’s CEO has got planned next for the publishing industry.
7. Demo: Sam Liang, CEO, Alohar Mobile – May 11, 10:10-10:15
Could there be a hotter startup than Alohar Mobile? Recently featured in Forbes, Wall Street Journal, Techcrunch and about every other tech media, Sam Liang will show how he is building a much smarter Siri.
8. Panel: Mobile Devices Beyond the Smartphone – May 11, 14:10-14:55
When will my refrigerator call me to tell me to pick up some milk? How is the mobile device ecosystem expanding from smartphones to tablets to TVs and beyond? Executives from Motorola, Qualcomm, Nokia and Xiaomi will look into their crystal balls.
9. Panel: Building Global Entertainment Brands out of Mobile Games – May 11, 16:00-16:45
Top executives from the world’s most successful apps on one stage. Rovio, Outfit7, Halfbrick, Zeptolab and EA are not content with just being ridiculously rich from all the app purchases. They are planning to take on Disney and other entertainment brands with movies, apparel, and theme parks.
10.Keynote: Lei Jun – May 11, 17:45-18:05
Everything Lei Jun touches turns to gold. His current project, Xiaomi has taken China’s smartphone market by storm by offering a high end, low cost handset. The strategy is paying off as Xiaomi is selling 500,000 devices and making $158 million each month. Where to next for Xiaomi?